Want to find more ancestors and their stories in your family tree?
This book will help! Genealogy is a name game, and it's a game of skill, not luck. The facts and tips gathered in this quick little reference guide include everything you need to know about given names and surnames to start making more family history discoveries today.
Are you just starting your family tree? Have you hit a brick wall?
As genealogists and family historians we are, relatively speaking, name obsessed. We are always playing the Name Game, looking to add names to our family tree and using names to find records detailing our ancestor’s lives.
But often in our ancestor hunt we hit brick walls. Have any of these situations happened to you?
- You know your ancestor’s name, but you can’t find any documents about them.
- You can’t find the maiden names of your female ancestors.
- Your ancestor has a common name and your not sure how to sort through the records to identify your ancestor.
- You think you ancestor changed their first or last name.
This book will help! The Name Game is a game of skill, not luck. The facts and tips gathered in this quick reference guide include everything you need to know about given names and surnames to make more family history discoveries, including:
- The meaning and origins of surnames
- Lists of most popular given names and surnames
- Nicknames origins and lists
- Cultural naming traditions around the world
- Key to common name abbreviations
- Immigrant name variations and translations
- Handling surname variations
- Finding elusive female maiden names
- Strategies for researching ancestors with common names
- Best practices for recording names and tips for better search results … and so much more!